Sunday, November 18, 2012

The wonder of numbers: a mommy rambles after a long day

I write tonight's entry in the "happiest place on earth." I have often been asked why Disney World holds such a place in my heart. Aside from many wonderful memories from family vacations, I also happen to love the whimsical side of life. I love pretty. I love color. I love fireworks. This may sound like the incoherent ramblings of intoxicated fairy but it's me to the bare bones. With all my neurosis and anxieties, I am drawn to beauty without getting bogged down by the details. I am obsessed with the ideas that push astronomy but I never even took physics in High School. I am someone who is good with a story but somewhat lacking when it comes to practical-no-frills-linear thinking.

And tonight I am wondering if my whimsical ways can help me with the road ahead with my Bubu. I have done A LOT of reading on autism. And I find it absolutely fascinating. But my usual struggles with numbers and statistics may be a huge positive in this situation. While it's the right thing to educate myself on the 'story' of autism and how it relates to my daughter, maybe its for the best that I have trouble retaining the stats of successes and failures with the disorder. Maybe its like my love of astronomy. I am overwhelmed by this amazing complex and beautiful little star. I want to learn how she works. I want to know how she shines. But reading up on the trials and tribulations of the galaxy won't help me with MY star. It is FACT that NO SCIENTIST has EVER seen my star. They have NEVER studied MY star. So how much can I put into the statistics regarding Sofie's future? I don't think I will put too much thought into that. I am going to focus on her beautiful story.

My little star's story is in the middle of an amazing chapter. She had a WONDERFUL day today. She was completely lucid all day long. We were travelling all day and she didn't 'space out.' She was laughing, babbling, crying and just being silly. She didn't cry when we got to the hotel. That is a really big deal. She wasn't overwhelmed. She didn't cry or act scared when she saw my family out of their usual context. She was just happy. My sweet little star. She is teaching me to focus on the story..our story and not my never ending research on autism. Her story makes the research amazing. All that I have read so far, shows that she is truly a remarkable and unique little girl. I am so grateful the diet seems to be helping her shine a little brighter these days.

And one more note in Bubu's story: We are starting speech therapy very soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment