Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Check out my PECs

So yesterday I found out that we are going to up our game with Sofie's therapy and begin using picture cards or picture exchange cards (PECs) to help Sofie's frustration and ultimately her language abilities. I was overwhelmed by hearing this. I began crying while talking to the speech therapist about what she thinks is going on with Sofie. Nothing she said scared me. But the fact that she offered no concrete idea of what is going on scared me. 99% of the time I feel like I can do Sofie's therapy requirements but that 1% of the time is a killer. The idea of creating a language on cards for Sofie to speak feels daunting. Luck would have it that I hit the wall the same time my family was coming to help with Sofie so Ozzy and I could go out TWO nights in a row. Aside from the dates, I also got a lot of help during the day. That makes all the difference for a mom on the edge. Today I started taking photos of Sofie's favorite food and we will laminate them and place them on magnets to attach to a board. And with a little luck Sofie will hand me one of those cards to help me know what she wants to eat. And from there we will keep adding more and more cards. After a little rest and some time out as a wife and simply as me, I think I am ready to work on my PECs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment