Friday, March 29, 2013

Super Powers

Sofie is doing really well. Her sweet little voice is beginning to creep out of her in cute little babble sentences and the occasional understandable word or short phrase. We are feeling pretty undeservedly lucky these days. I feel like we are really turning a corner. Therapy is everything. I can't say it enough. I think when we are farther into our journey I would like to really be an advocate for that. We are learning such great techniques to communicate with Sofie. And we are learning such clever strategies to help Sofie cope with her sensory super powers. All these techniques are helping Sofie focus on the big picture instead of being overwhelmed constantly by a wave of colors and textures. It is such an amazing gift she has. Sofie can look at something and pick out the tiniest detail and appreciate it, and love it, on a level few can. Therapy is just helping her connect with people and keep her powers in check. We still have a lot of work (but who doesn't?!).

I know that the spectrum is very wide and I would like to put a little disclaimer on my views because of the complexity of ASD. I feel it is easy for me to talk about super powers and such because Sofie appears to be a mild case. Any mom reading this that is bravely fighting every day for their child with a severe case has permission to envision smacking me clear across the face. I know I have it easier than so many moms out there. I never ever want my words to come off as the ramblings of a self-involved mom. I just want to share our story with the universe because it is so calming to hit "publish" and know that my words are floating around the internet and not in my head.

I am breaking one of my rules and thinking a bit about when Sofie is in school. I am letting myself off the hook because I am not filled with anxious thoughts about the topic. I have been thinking about how Ozzy and I are really going to have to be her advocate. And of course, all parents are their children's advocates but I mean that labels make people say and do bizarre things-and I want to protect Sofie as much as I can from that.

I must stress that we have been so overwhelmed by the vast majority of people in our lives that have risen to the occasion and have supported us by celebrating the wonderful eccentric character our child is. Admittedly, we have experienced some individuals that were notably scared by the label and consequently absent from our support network. Of this tiny minority, some have expressed skepticism about the diagnosis or have shared odd takes on what "autism" means to them. I mention this minority not out of any negativity but because I think that small population represents a well-intentioned mindset we will have to face when Sofie goes to school. Tonight, as I write this, I am okay with that. It's well-intentioned-there's no malice. I think the more families come out (so to speak) and live proudly with with their little super heroes, the smaller that minority will get.

Enough rambling, it's late.

No comments:

Post a Comment