Thursday, April 4, 2013

They can't all be sunny days

I have been on a real positive quick lately, I was due for a really insecure streak. I think this picture summarizes my day. Sofie was being impossible. I can't blame her; it was a terribly rainy day. She is "dumping" more than usual and she is mouthing EVERYTHING. I had to scrape out chalk bits out of her mouth today. Her therapist was trying to get Sofie to draw on dark paper and Sofie tricked her into a false sense of security and BAM! shoves a piece into her mouth and starts chewing. The dumping was probably the most aggravating part. Around 5 o'clock I snapped and trapped her in this blanket like an animal. In the middle of destroying the apartment I spread out this quilt. Sofie smiled and sat in the middle of it (thinking we are going to play parachute). I quickly started wrapping her up like a little baby burrito. She quickly became relaxed and I just left her there on the floor. She stayed there for thirty minutes before she got up and continued her path of destruction. One thing that stinks about ASD is you can't just have a crappy day and let that be that. I was wondering if her crabbiness was part of our new body brushing therapy (immediate side effect can be increased dumping and irritability). I was also was wondering if I am staying on top of her therapy routine enough. Sometimes I let things slip and I wonder if I am messing stuff up. It's a lot of pressure trying to get all of Sofie's little brain signals up and running the way they should. I mean I know that Sofie is an incredibly healthy girl and her beautiful brain is firing away. But knowing that we are doing a brushing therapy to help her sensory processing mature a bit carries a lot of weight. And knowing that we are using the PEC system with her talking book to help her understand the symbolic nature of language and a list of other developmental therapy tools stresses me out some days. Today was one of those days. I am tired. I wish I could be "on" all the time and follow our therapy plan to the letter-every second of every day. Oh, rainy days- you drain me.

No comments:

Post a Comment